Senators call for Duque’s resignation, PRRD retains him
Senators filed a resolution on Thursday calling for the resignation of Secretary Francisco Duque III due to his performance in the Department of Health amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The resolution stated Duque has failed to implement precautionary measures to prevent or lessen the effect of the crisis brought by COVID-19.
The senators said the health secretary failed to alert the medical community and the public that there were admitted patients with COVID-19 symptoms. They added Duque had asserted in press briefings that the country had no case of local transmission.
They also pointed out the failure of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment (PPE) to health workers.
Duque responded in the virtual meeting of the Lower House that he respects the views of the senators and said he was “really hurt that at this time the Senate is calling for my resignation, when in fact we need to come together because we, you know, we need to unite.”
“How I wish the Senate had been more magnanimous and more appreciative of the efforts we’re trying to put in place,” Duque added.
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea disclosed President Rodrigo Duterte has decided to retain Duque in his position and appreciates the move of the senators.
“Secretary Duque was made aware of the sentiments of the Senators and the President expects him to work even harder to set aside any doubts on his capacity and sincerity to serve the public during these difficult times,” Medialdea said.
Meanwhile, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that as long as cabinet members are not removed from the office, the President “continues to have full trust and confidence in them.” – Report from Daniel Manalastas / ptvnews.ph