LTFRB opens 44 more routes, allows 4,820 more jeepneys in Metro Manila
The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has opened 44 more routes and allowed 4,820 more public utility jeepney (PUJ) units to operate in Metro Manila.
In a statement on Tuesday, the LTFRB said a total of 27,016 traditional PUJs can now ply along the 302 open routes in Metro Manila, which is still under general community quarantine amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The opening of new routes was contained in Memorandum Circular 2020-058 issued on Saturday.
According to the LTFRB, the following are the total number of operating routes and units for several modes of public transportation in Metro Manila:
- traditional public utility jeepney (PUJ) – 302 routes with 27,016 units allowed
- modern PUJ – 48 routes with 845 units
- public utility bus (PUB) – 34 routes with 4,016 units
- point-to-point bus – 34 routes with 387 units
- UV Express – 76 routes with 3,263 units
- taxi – 20,927 units
- transport network vehicles services (TNVS) – 24,356 units
- provincial public utility bus (PUB) – 12 routes with 286 units
- modern UV Express – two routes with 40 units
LTFRB vowed to open more routes for public utility vehicles (PUVs) after months of suspension to accommodate commuters amid the pandemic. —Source: Joviland Rita/KBK, GMA News