Libingan ng mga Bayani may be resting place for fallen frontliners -Palace
Health workers who died fighting the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, Malacañang said Thursday.
Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo cited the regulation issued by the Armed Forces of the Philippines, a portion of which stated that “other deceased persons whose interment or re-interment has been approved by the commander-in-chief, Congress, or the Secretary of National Defense” are qualified to be interred at the reputable gravesite in Taguig City.
“In addition, since the listing of those who may be interred in the LNMB was only made through an AFP Guideline, then the same may be amended through a mere executive issuance, to include the said frontliners,” said Panelo, who is also President Rodrigo Duterte’s chief legal counsel.
The Palace official gave the statement after Ako Bicol party-list Representative Alfredo Garbin Jr. pushed for the interment of fallen medical frontliners at the LNMB.
At least 21 doctors in the country have died due to COVID-19, according to data from the Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines.
The Bayanihan to Heal as One Act (Republic Act 11469) directed the President to provide compensation of P100,000 to public and private health workers who may contract severe COVID-19 infection while in the line of duty.
A P1-million compensation will be given to health workers who died while fighting the viral outbreak.
The Philippines has so far reported 4,076 COVID-19 cases with 203 deaths and 124 recoveries. –NB,GMA News